Wednesday 14 September 2011

Fuschl am See to Pillsteinkopf via Ellmaustein and Zwolferhorn - Austria 27 August 2009

Fuschl am See to Pillsteinkopf via Ellmaustein, Zwolferhorn and Return 
Austria
Thursday 27 August 2009


While on holiday in Austria in the Fuschl am See area.  We heard that you could get a leaflet from the tourist information that showed you various features in the area where you could obtain a stamp.  They called it a wanderpass.  Each stamp had its own value depending on where it was in relation to Fuschl.  The nearest and easily reached features were the lower value of points while the higher and more distant features had a higher value of points.  Depending on the total number of points you collect you could obtain a medal.  For 80 points you qualified to receive a bronze medal.  Silver was 120 points and gold was 180 points.  This was just too much to let it pass and the beast in my head said I had to get all the points.  I had an idea that I could possibly get enough points to qualify and receive Bronze, Silver and Gold, all of the medals on one holiday.

Anyway on this particular day my wife had had enough of walking and decided that now as she had the points and collected her Gold medal, she was going to take a trip into Salzburg.  This left me on my own,  what was I going to do?  I suppose I could go for a walk.  So after seeing my wife onto the bus I set off.

I left Fuschl at 669meters and followed the numbered route signs up Ellmaustein at 994 meters and worth 20 points.

Ellmaustein
View from Ellmaustein
I got a really good view of Fuschl and its lake and I could see the back of the hotel we were staying at.  When I was coming down the path from Ellmaustein I heard a sharp noise to my right.  When I looked I saw the back of a large deer jumping up the hill under the trees.  Shame I missed it completely, what a photo that would have made.  After dropping down back onto the track, I followed the numbered signs, passing through Ellmau to a place called Mozartblick, and collected another 15 points.  From here I could see St Gilgen, I could also see St Wolfgang across Lake Wolfgang.  This would be where we would be staying for our second week on this holiday.

View of Lake Wolfgang from Mozartblick
After retracing my steps a little I started following the signs up to the Zwolferhorn.  Some of the path was narrow track through forest and it twisted and turned with a little up and down, absolutely brilliant the way the light came through the trees.  Apart from seeing the back of the deer that had been running away I had seen no sign of any wildlife, which was a little disappointing.  After the wood there was a little farm land before climbing up narrow paths and forest tracks towards the top of the Zwolferhorn.


View of Zwolferhorn
Oh look a cable car


Little did I know when I set off that the Zwolferhorn had a cable car from St Gilgen, and I had spent a few hours tramping up the hill, but the achievement was great when I stood on the top amongst those who had rode up.  As I have found on lots of Austrian hills you know you are near the top when you see the para gliders getting ready to jump off.  Anyway at 1522 meters I had another 40 points in the bag, and a fantastic view to look at while I ate my sandwich.


Top of Zwolferhorn


It was a gentle stroll down and up again to Pillsteinkopf at 1478 meters and another 20 points.  It was a glorious walk and such a joy.

View of Schafbachalm from between Zwolferhorn and Pillsteinkopf
Phillsteinkopf


I made my way back up to the Zwolferhorn and headed back down the track that I had taken up.  Passing the cable car station you head down the track that travels under the cable cars a couple of times.

I felt really good on the walk and was flying along.

I followed almost the same route back to Fuschl as I had taken to the Zwolferhorn without the climb up Ellmaustein.  When I got back to the hotel I was tired but felt so good.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.  
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Austria or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to another walk in this part of Austria St Wolfgang

No comments:

Post a Comment