Sunday 9 October 2011

PW - Garrigill to Cross Fell - Cumbria 8 Mar 2010

Pennine Way - Garrigill to Cross Fell and Return 
Cumbria
Monday 8 March 2010


I had done this walk a number of times, starting from Garrigill and following the Pennine Way South to Cross Fell.  Pulling up in one of the car park spaces opposite the George & Dragon pub I noticed it was boarded up which was a surprise.  When I was younger we used to call in and it was always full of people.  Anyway today I was trying to get some practice in for the Cape Wrath Trail, I was planning on doing, so I had packed my bag with all the kit I thought I would need to get used to carrying it.

A boarded up George & Dragon 
 It was bright and sunny when I picked up my bag and headed down the road past the church along The Pennine Way, towards the track that takes you up the hill towards Cross Fell.  There was no snow in the valley bottom and the track was clear most of the way up.  I liked this track I had always found it steep enough to get the heart pumping and clear my lungs.




View of Cross Fell
As I moved up the track past the second gate the snow was starting to get noticeably deeper and as hard as stone.  In places the snow had formed into chasms where I had to decide to either walk through or around.  Fortunately it held.


As I moved further up where I thought the track was, I was following the fence posts, I knew that I was no longer on the track, but the posts were a good guide.





My bag was heavy and my shoulders ached so I stopped and had a rest.  I had a bar of chocolate which was frozen.  As I looked around the sky was clear and the views were fantastic.  When I started walking again I noticed ski tracks in the snow.  I was well away from my normal route which was along the track to Greg's Hut. This time I had moved well to the East and South and came up the ridge to the spot hight to the top of Cross Fell.  Fortunately the ground was very firm.
'
Spot Height 893m Just pointing through
I headed down hill following the route stones towards Greg's Hut where I stopped and had a meal.  I always like calling into Greg's Hut and reading about what Greg's friends have done to remember him, amazing really.


Towards Greg's Hut from Cross Fell
It was impossible to find the path due to the snow so I followed the footsteps from previous walkers.  In parts these were deep and it took some effort to make the steps.  Fortunately they were not too far apart but it did take some effort.  In places were there were no footsteps to follow, the snow was hard and it was difficult to get any grip and I was in danger of slipping.  Fortunately I held my grip and reached the relative safety of the fence posts.



As I headed back towards Garrigill I noticed a strange natural ice sculpture, it was rather good I thought.

Anyway another good day wandering alone.

More to follow.


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Cumbria or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow the link to my Day 1 on the Cape Wrath Trail.
Follow the link to the time I walked Cross Fell on my Pennine Way Day 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment