Wednesday 23 November 2011

CWT Day 7 - Grid NH 065 675 to Dundonnell 16 April 2010.

Cape Wrath Trail - Day 7
Grid NH 065 675 to Dundonnell
Distance 27km Climb 300m
Friday 16th April 2010


I woke early and had some breakfast as I packed my kit.  I now had a good routine going, I would start my jet boil up with a boil in the bag in it warming up as I prepared my cups of tea.  As it was warming up I would pack up my sleeping bag and anything I no longer needed.  Once my boil in the bag was ready I would have my two cups of tea ready, one would go in my flask cup and into my bag for later in the day and the other I would have now.  As I was eating my boil in the bag I would pack my tent and the only things left out would be fresh socks and the tape for my feet.  I would finish off the breakfast as I rubbed my feet for luck, putting on my boots.  Clear away the last bits and pieces finish off my tea, pick up the bag, have a quick look around to make sure I had not left anything and set off.



I checked my distances and confirmed I was about 9 km from Kinlochewe, I had had a good nights sleep and although hungry I felt well rested.  It was lovely weather although a little cold when I set off.  I continued along the path to Loch Fada, this would have been a good campsite and I could see that people had camped here before.  I was glad I hadn't though as there was a very cold wind blowing right across the loch and the area was very open and exposed. 




From Loch Fada to Loch an Nid there is no path to follow except for a compass bearing, which was not really a problem.  Once on the rise I could see the gap in the glen I was heading for.  




At Loch an Nid I found the track on the Eastern side of the loch and followed the path in a Northerly direction beside a stream.  



While researching the Trail I read that I was now moving along a place called Glen Wilderness.  A place that brought out a number of different feelings in people.  I had read that people had found this a place of sadness and unhappiness.  Challenging and wonder.  It was somewhere along this track I felt all these emotions swaying from elation to depression.  On top of all this I broke more off the tooth that had cracked earlier on the Trail on a boiled sweet and that was all I needed to take my feelings into a deeper depression.

At the top of the path there is a T junction with a track.  I turned right and the track initially headed East before heading North, it was a steep climb.  At the top there was a marvellous view back down the glen.  As I was climbing up this track I got a fright.  I had not seen anyone since early the day before and here lying in a dip in the ground next to the track was a man, lying perfectly still.  Why he was there lying like that I do not know.  He told me he was on holiday and staying at the Dundonnell Hotel.  My plan was to pitch my tent and hopefully get some food at the Dundonnell Hotel so I would probably see him later.  However there was still a number of km to travel that day.



Coming over the top from Glen Wilderness the weather which had been fine although cold had changed, the clear sky’s were changing to dark wet clouds and the wind was becoming stronger.  It was a coat on, coat off sort of day, at one point I was even down to shorts and shirt as it was that warm.  




The track passes by a small wood as it slopes down then moves through a forest by another stream before reaching a main road the A832 at a place called Corrie Hallie.  From here there are a number of things I could do however when looking into my route I had looked into calling at the Dundonnell Hotel for food.  This would mean an extra 6 - 7 km on my journey but may be worth it.


Wild goats on the side of the hill near the track down to the road junction




At the road junction I turned left towards Dundonnell.  Just in time for the weather to change for the worse, the rain and wind that had been threatening finally hit, and I arrived at the Dundonnell Hotel like a drowned rat.  On walking into the hotel I made the decision to stay there the night. 
I had covered about 27km with approx. 300m climb in about 9.5 hours.

The rain was lashing on the room window as I tried to sort and dry my kit out.  I also took the opportunity to charge my phone and camera.  After a quick bath I took some time to check and sort out my feet, which needed a good bit of TLC.

After putting on my less smelly clothes, I went to the bar and ordered some food and shared a table with the man I met on the hill.  It turned out he had spent a lot of his childhood in the area and had come for a holiday.  There were a number of places he told me to look out for but as I was only passing through I would not have the chance to see them.  He now lived in Belgium and was concerned about something I had not heard about, an ash cloud coming over from Iceland, apparently it was affecting all the planes.  After some food and a couple of shandys a group of locals came in and took up instruments and started playing, they were very good then for some reason one of them just put down their instrument and walked off, it was a shame as I said they were very good.  I soon went to bed and found it strange trying to settle in a bed after only a few days in my tent.  I could still hear the rain and wind banging on the window and thought I had made a sensible decision.

More to follow



Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Cape Wrath Trail or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous - Day 6 Achnashellach to Grid NH 065 675
Follow link to next - Day 8 Dundonnell to Knockdamph Bothy


No comments:

Post a Comment