Wednesday 14 December 2011

CWT - Cape Wrath to Sandwood Bay 21 April 2010.

Cape Wrath Trail - After The Trail Day 12
Cape Wrath return to Sandwood Bay
Distance 13km
Wednesday 21st April 2010


After arriving at the Cape Wrath lighthouse I was concerned that there were only 3 hours of daylight left and it had taken me 5 hours to get here.  Since I had started on The Trail I had seen daylight hours getting longer but still there may not be enough for me to get back to my tent.  I was not very happy with myself due to the time it had taken me.  So after a couple of quick photos I headed back to my tent along the cliff path.  Wondering why did I not come this way in the first place.



If I had I would have had plenty of time, as it was I felt I was racing against the sun coming down.  Not for the first time on this walk I was frustrated with myself that I did not have the time to just sit and enjoy the beauty that I found myself in.








As I travelled along the cliff path, at times running, I could see the sun coming down.  I was sprinting against the setting sun.  I did not want to be wandering about on the cliffs in the dark with no kit.  After a while I would reach a rise and expect to see Sandwood Bay below only to see another rise ahead of me. The sun setting was brilliant with the colours on the hills being especially vivid. I saw herds of deer running majestically across the side of the hills, beautiful.


Then finally there below me was Sandwood Bay the beach stretching out in front of me. I stopped and filled my water bottles at a stream before reaching the bottom of the hill.  I crossed the river and stepped onto the beach just as the sunlight disappeared, I felt very tired but relieved.  After a slow walk along the beach dragging my stick and my full water bottles I saw the stone I had noted where I had to turn for my tent.  As I reached the rise of the sand dunes I suddenly heard a voice asked if I was OK? from a tent that I had not seen.  He told me I was not far from my tent.  I was almost on my knees when I reached my tent.  I started my jet boil and had a well deserved meal and settled down for the night.  Tomorrow I would have a lie in.




All that was left was a slow walk back the 13km to Kinlochbervie.  Even in the cold light of day when I reflected on the distance I had walked I still had no sense of achievement


More to follow



Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Scotland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to my last day on Cape Wrath Trail - Day 12 Kinlochbervie to Cape Wrath





No comments:

Post a Comment