Monday 2 January 2012

The Pennine Way (pre the walk)

Pre The Pennine Way


I was sitting on the train travelling from Kinlochbervie to Inverness to meet my wife following my completion of the Cape Wrath Trail.  Although I had had a good rest in the Kinlochbervie Hotel, my feet were still sore and I had all my old aches and pains.  I knew I had lost weight as my smelly clothes just hung loose on me, even so I felt fit.  To complete the Trail in the time I had set myself I had pushed myself really hard.  On my journey South I was thinking of my next personal challenge, I already had a few ideas.  

The next walk that caught my eye was The Pennine Way, I think I was attracted to this walk as it was described as the first official long distance trail in England.  Again as with my previous walks I would need to do some research if I was going to plan and organise my own way of doing The Pennine Way.  My wife was not happy for me to go off again on my own however as before she accepted this was something I needed to do.  

A good place to start my research was the internet.  I also bought a number of books one was the Shell Book of The Pennine Way from a charity book shop in York, it was dated 1968.  I then got a Wainwright picture book on the Pennine Way dated 1988, off an internet site.  For my birthday my daughter bought me a current Cicerone guide by Paddy Dillon, this guide was a very good source of information and I would follow this guide quite a few times during the walk.  It was interesting to see how the old books fitted with the new guides.

I decided to do the route from South to North, starting in Edale walking to Kirk Yetholm.  On this walk there was no need to worry about where I would leave the car, as I had decided to take the train to Edale and use the bus from Kirk Yetholm to Berwick where I was planning to meet my wife.  We were planning to have a couple of days in Berwick before returning home on the train.  

Maps.

I now had a source to get my maps.  The O/S maps I needed according to the Cicerone Guide were 74, 80, 86, 87, 91, 92, 98, 103, 109 and 110.  I got two sets of the maps.  One set I would keep at home the other set I would plan my route on and cut up.  I was against cutting up or marking maps so I was unhappy to do this but as this would save some carrying weight I had no choice. 

Rough Route Plan (possible places to stop or feed).

As with The Cape Wrath Trail I researched a number of places I could stay and feed.  E-mailing ahead to ensure places were open and still provided the service they showed on the internet.

Day 1 Edale to Crowden 18 miles
Breakfast - Home
Lunch - The Nags Head Edale start of The Pennine Way 
Evening Meal - Peels Arms Hotel  01457 852719. 
Follow link to actual Day 1 Edale to Grid SK 097 940

Day 2 Crowden to White House PH 20 miles
Breakfast - Peels Arms Hotel
Lunch - packed lunch
Evening Meal - White House PH.
or Marsden Tunnel End Inn.
Follow link to actual Day 2 Grid SK 097 940 to Great Western PH

Day 3 White House PH to Ponden Guest House 19 1/2 miles
Breakfast - White House PH
Lunch - packed lunch 
Dinner - Ponden Guest House
Follow link to actual Day 3 Great Western PH to Grid SD 967 334

Day 4 Ponden to Gargrave 17 miles
Breakfast - Ponden Guest House
Lunch - passing a number of PH
Evening Meal - Gargrave
Follow link to actual Day 4 Grid SD 967 334 to Gargrave

Day 5 Gargrave to Horton-in-Ribblesdale 22 miles
Breakfast - Gargrave
Lunch - places in Malham
Evening Meal - Horton-in-Ribblesdale
possible places to stay Holme Farm 01729 860281
Follow link to actual Day 5 Gargrave to Grid SD 853 722

Day 6 Horton-in-Ribblesdale to Hawes 15 miles
Breakfast - Tea Shop, Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Lunch - packed lunch
Evening Meal - PH in Hawes
Follow link to actual Day 6 Grid SD 853 722 to Hawes

Day 7 Hawes to Tan Hill Inn 17 miles
Breakfast - Cafe in Hawes
Lunch - Kearton Tea shop or Keld Tea shop
Evening Meal - Tan Hill Inn 01833 628246
Follow link to actual Day 7 Hawes to Tan Hill Inn

Day 8 Tan Hill Inn to Middleton-in-Teesdale 18 miles
Breakfast - Tan Hill Inn
Lunch - packed lunch
Evening Meal - PH Middleton-in-Teesdale
possible place to stay Dale View Caravan Park 01833 640233
Follow link to actual Day 8 Tan Hill Inn to Middleton-in-Teesdale

Day 9 Middleton-in-Teesdale to Dufton 22 miles
Breakfast - Cafe in Middleton-in-Teesdale
Lunch - packed lunch
Evening Meal - Stag Inn Dufton
possible place to stay Grandie Caravan Park 017683 51573
Follow link to actual Day 9 Middleton-in-Teesdale to Dufton

Day 10 Dufton to Alston 20 miles
Breakfast - Youth Hostel Dufton
Lunch - Packed lunch 
Evening Meal - PH Alston
possible place to stop Tyne Willows Caravan Site 01434 382515
Follow link to actual Day 10 Dufton to Alston

Day 11 Alston to Greenhead 17 miles
Breakfast - Cafe in Alston
Lunch - Packed lunch
Evening Meal - Greenhead Hotel 016977 47411
Follow link to actual Day 11 Alston to Greenhead

Day 12 Greenhead to Bellingham 21 1/2 miles
Breakfast - Cafe Greenhead
Lunch - Packed lunch
Evening Meal - PH Bellingham
Follow link to actual Day 12 Greenhead to Bellingham

Day 13 Bellingham to Byrnes 16 miles
Breakfast - Cafe Bellingham
Lunch - Packed lunch
Evening Meal - The Byrnes Hotel 01830 520231
possible place to stay Border Forest Caravan Park 01830 520259
Follow link to actual Day 13 Bellingham to Byrness

Day 14 Byrnes to End?

Kit List
Tent
Headache Tablets
Jacket
Knife
Bag
Thermos cups x2
Gloves
Pencil
Rations
Toilet paper
Hat
Notebook
Tea/Sugar/Milk
Spoon
Stick
Wet wipes
Sleeping bag
Boots
Camera
Softy jacket
Bivi bag
Socks
Bino's
Gaiters
Roll mat
Waterproof socks
Phone
Spare socks
Rain cover
Tracksuit trousers
Money
Spare underpants
First Aid Kit
Vest
Cash card
Spare t/shirts
Matches/lighter
Shorts
Torch
Foot powder
Stove
Underpants
Compass
Spare batteries
Gas
Shirt
GPS
Whistle
Trainers
Camel pack
Mess tins
Bungies
Waterproof trousers



More to Follow

Boz North

No comments:

Post a Comment