Friday 10 February 2012

The Pennine Way Day 1 - Edale to Grid SK 097 940 25 March 2011.

The Pennine Way - Day 1
Edale to Grid SK 097 940
Distance 16km Climb 748m
Friday 25th March 2011


I arrived in Edale about 1315 as the train from Sheffield was a little delayed and walked up to the Old Nags Head which had a sign showing that it was the official start of the Pennine Way.

Edale
Edale
My plan was to start walking on Saturday the next day but as the weather had been good and clear I thought I would try and get as far as I could today.

After a lovely meal of ham, eggs and chips and a larger shandy I set off about 1350.


I stopped walking at 1850.  My plan was to go to the Peels Arms Padfield near Glossop it was an extra couple of miles but would have meant a good meal.  However when I got to the junction I could take to Padfield I worked out that it would take about 2 hours and I would arrive too late for any food.  So decided to move a little further along The Way, pitch my tent and have a meal from the rations I was carrying.

Looking at Jacobs Ladder
Top of Jacobs Ladder
Noe Stool
Nearly everyone I had passed that day must have thought they were a comedian as they all made a comment on the size of the bag I was carrying.  Although it was big it was not as heavy as on my last walk.  On this walk I was not as worried about eating rations early as they were plenty of places to stop and pick up food all along the route.  (or so I had planned).

Monarch of the Glen


Old Woman cross roads Pennine Way and Roman Road to Glossop
After setting up my tent and starting my jet boil I tried ringing home but I could not get an answer.  Not to worry I would try again tomorrow.  I settled myself in my cosy socks in my cosy sleeping bag.  The sky was clear and the temperature had dropped, but so far so good.  Even though I had only walked for a few hours I knew that as I had not walked into Padfield near Glossop and had stayed on The Way I was nearly a day ahead of what I had planned.  I will have to see if this continues.

Walking time 5 hours (10 miles) 16 km covered with 748m of climb.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on the Pennine Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.


Follow link to next - Pennine Way Day 2 Grid SK 097 940 to Great Western PH
Follow link to another walk across Kinder Scout
Follow link to a walk across Mam Tor joining the Pennine Way near Kinder Low

No comments:

Post a Comment