Monday 18 June 2012

The Pennine Way Day 11 - Alston to Greenhead 4 April 2011.

The Pennine Way - Day 11
Alston to Greenhead
Distance 28km
Monday 4th April 2011


This was the first day I had woken up and found my tent was dry. 

Before I left Alston I found a cafe where I had some breakfast.  It started filling up with locals.  The lad serving knew what they wanted and almost had it ready for when they walked in.  Very good service.

I walked back down the road to join The Way and crossed the bridge over the South Tyne river.  Then turning North again, from the other side of the river I could see Alston and the campsite I had stayed at the previous night.  I was well rested and had had plenty to eat so felt good.  It was important to be rested and well fed as this gave me the strength to continue.  Just as well because it soon started raining.

Alston over the river

Whitley Castle an old Roman fort 
Whitley Castle
The Way then crossed fields, passed by farms and an old Roman Fort as it weaved its way back and forth across the A689.  Soon The Way moved along next to the South Tyne Railway, in a North Westerly direction.  

South Tyne Railway

I passed a number of school parties, the children were all dressed in matching waterproof coats, what a shame the rain was spoiling what would have been a brilliant trip for the bairns.  I found a little shelter for a quick rest under one of the railway tunnels, a quick drink and I moved off.  I had decided to turn off at Knarsdale, this was a recommended stop in my guide, and visit the Kirkstyle Inn for some food and a rest but when I got there it was shut.  Just my luck.  
South Tyne Railway
Good use of an old iron bed head, probably worth a fortune  
Contouring the side of the hill, The Way becomes part of the Maiden Way for a few km. After I had passed the school children earlier in the day I never saw another person.  Well not until I reached Greenhead.  

Throughout the day I had been trying to ring ahead for a place I had seen on the internet in Greenhead.  It was the Holmhead Guest House.  If I used my tent it was £8.00 on a piece of grass at the back of barn.  The standard barn was £9.00 and the luxury barn was £12.50.  When I got through on the phone I decided to splash out and take the luxury barn.

Spot Height 289 Blenkinsopp Common
Heading towards Greenhead I had problems getting across the soaking wet moors, but apparently everyone does.  Still I had been covering 3km an hour.



I had a really good meal at the Greenhead Hotel with real chips, before I moved up to the guest house to stay in the luxury barn.  For a warm night out of the elements.



I had walked approx 9 hours and covered 28 km. 


Overall including this day I calculated I had only 67 miles left to go and I had covered 330 km.  If I look at the distance to go in miles it sounds closer and the distance I had covered in km it sounds more impressive, looks good anyway.

More to follow.


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Pennine Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous - Day 10 Dufton to Alston
Follow link to next - Day 12 Greenhead to Bellingham


No comments:

Post a Comment