Sunday 26 August 2012

Kitzbuhel to Kirchberg - Austria 15 Aug 2012.

Hotel Edelweiss to Kirchberg Return via Seidlalmsee
Austria
Distance 18km
Wednesday 15th August 2012


Today there was a flower festival and a public holiday in Kirchberg, so it was decided that we would have an easy day and walk along for the festival.

We prepared our packed lunches and changing into our walking clothes.  As we left the Hotel Edelweiss we had a brief chat with Veronika and Klaus as to where we were going today.

Walking through Kitzbuhel 761m we saw that they were making the preparations for a bike race, it all looked very interesting.  Our route to Kirchberg was the same route that we had walked when returning from Kirchberg on the previous Sunday, only in reverse.  North West out towards Schwarzsee then follow the train line West before walking West beside the river straight into Kirchberg 837m.


Part of Schwarzsee


Kirchberg 837m was very busy and full of local people in their traditional costumes. Many sitting on long tables eating and drinking while folk groups played traditional music.  We saw a few floats all decorated in flowers and crowds of people just pouring into the small town.  Another very hot day.  We decided that probably the easiest way back to Kitzbuhel and the Hotel Edelweiss, due to the crowds and possible delays to the bus, would be to use the cable car up the Fleckalm and walk across to the Hahnenkamm as the station at the bottom was quite close to the Hotel Edelweiss.

As we left Kirchberg we saw an old UK telephone box

As we were on our way to the Fleckham Cable Station 807m I suggested to Anne that she use the cable car and I would try and walk up, Ehrenbachhohe, then across to Hahnenkamm and down to Kitzbuhel.  So I left Anne at the cable car station.

Anne on the cable car as I walked beneath.

The hill was quite steep in places, the problem I had was that I did not really have a lot of time.  We had left Kirchberg quite late for me to do the walk I had planned.  I followed the signs and took into account the timings on the signs and was having to change my plans as I walked up.



I came to a junction where I could either go up to Fleckalm and then up to Ehrenbachhohe, but at the time I thought I would be pushing it to get up then get across to Hahnenkamm and back down in the time.  So I turned East towards Niedere Streifalm and I thought I might still be able to get up to Hahnenkamm?

Niedere Streifalm looking East
Niedere Streifalm looking West

Seidlalmsee 1360m

I arrived at the junction just passed Seidlalmsee and I recognised where I was, I had been here a number of times during our visit last year.  At this junction again taking into account the timings on the signs it would have taken an hour and a half to go up Hahnenkamm and back to this point.  With a further hour and three quarters to get down.  I thought again I had started too late, if I went up Hahnenkamm I would have been late, late enough to cause people concern so I made the decision just to head down.  Writing this now I wish I had gone up but it is too late now, at the time that seamed the sensible decision.



Seidlalm 1206m


I got back to the Hotel Edelweiss just in time to catch a cup of tea.  Klaus reminded me I was on holiday and there was no reason to try and run up and down the mountains as they would still be there tomorrow.  Not that I was doing any running up, but sometimes due to the steepness on the way down when I stumbled, I may have given the appearance I was running but this was only to stop myself falling on my face.

I had walked about 18km.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Austria or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to next walk Pass Thurn to Kitzbuhel
Follow link to previous walk Kitzbuhel to Kitzbuheler Horn
Follow link to another walk to Kirchberg 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment