Sunday 12 May 2013

Jarrow to North Shields Pier - Tyne and Wear 11 April 2013.

Jarrow to North Shields Pier and return
Tyne and Wear
Distance 20km
Thursday 11th April 2013


I had walked through the Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel many, many times before but this was the first time I had done this walk.  I walked through the Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel, Northwards, and turned right at the top of the bank, usually I turned left toward Newcastle but not today, today I turned right and followed the sign for the cycle route 72.

Tyne from the South side of the Pedestrian Tunnel
Tyne looking South from the North side of the Pedestrian Tunnel
North side of the Pedestrian Tunnel
The road goes past a couple of factory units and looking over to the left you could see the new Tyne Vehicle Tunnel.  At the bottom the path then turns left up past what used to be The Duke of Wellington pub which I noticed is now an Italian restaurant.  The path starts to climb a little here and at the top still following the cycle path it heads along a main road towards the Royal Quays.

From the Royal Quays I headed South, down a bank, past the North Sea Ferry terminal towards the river, where there is another quay.  This was the quay where a few years ago we took the children to see HMS Illustrious on a family open day.  The problem was when we got there they were not letting anyone on, so much for an open day.

Anyway today I turned left and walked by the quay towards a very swish looking marina (Albert Edward Dock).

Looking South towards the South Shields ferry landing - what is that on the right?

Shields ferry


I sat here at the marina for a short while watching the seagulls before walking across the marina gates and continued along by the river.  The path then turns up from the river and took me back up to the road.  Where I had to climb over the road barrier to get back on the pavement. It was along here I could see that a lot of land had been cleared next to the river and looking through the fence I could see the old dry docks and lay out of some roads.  An area of massive development, ready for some new building work.  Due to the fencing I had to follow the road around this area, between some work units such as crane's and some small factories.

After the factories I crossed a main road and walked between houses before arriving at another main road.  Where the pedestrian signs showed me the way down a steep bank towards the ferry landing.  At the bottom I choose to turn right, East, towards the Fish Quay rather than left, West, towards the ferry landing.  I would walk along there on the way back.

I walked passed some closed and derelict factories passed then passed a pub which had an old dolly outside. The dolly was a figure that at one time would have been on the front of a ship.  Then I was on the Fish Quay.  I remember coming here as a child, where it was full of fishing boats with boxes full of fish.  Today there was only a few boats, perhaps it was the tide?

Panoramic view from the Fish Quay.
Fish Quay looking towards the mouth of the river.
There were quite a lot of people walking about around here, despite it being a cold day.  A few fresh fish shops were open, as were some of the restaurants and cafĂ©'s.

Continuing along by the river, I saw a few people with children playing on the sand, and men digging around old tyres near the waters edge.  From here I continued along the promenade beside the river towards the North Shields pier.


The path then turns inland a little and starts climbing up a little towards the Admiral Lord Collingwood monument.  I left the path here and walked along a grass path which came out at a carpark with a good view of Tynemouth Priory.  Keeping to the side nearest the river I dropped off the road down a steep grassy bank to a little sandy beach that came out on the far side to the start of the pier.


Walking along the pier it was very cold.  It had two levels, the bottom level had a sign saying it was closed but it was full of fishermen.  Some had cast out two lines.  I stopped for a few minutes when I saw someone pulling in a catch.  He wasn't very impressed because he dropped it back in quicker than he pulled it out.

North Shields pier

At the end of the pier I looked to see if I could see the seal that I had seen around the South Shields pier the day before but no, perhaps it was because the sea was a lot rougher.  I saw a little fishing boat going out between the piers and it was doing some steady bouncing around.  They must be really tough men, the men that go out on these little boats to catch fish, you have to take your hat off to them. 
From pier looking Northwards up the coast
Tynemouth and Priory from the pier.

I like the panorama effect as you can tell by the number of photos I have taken like that.
South Shields pier with Lizard Point in the distance from the North pier.

I walked back along the pier, and dropped down to take some pictures from the side outside of the pier.  After a few photos I climbed back up the steps to the pier and followed the road towards Tynemouth.  Again taking a grassy path I came up behind the Admiral Lord Collingwood monument.  Admiral Lord Collingwood took over from Nelson after he died at the battle of Trafalgar.  A very interesting and large monument.

Admiral Lord Collingwood
The view Admiral Lord Collingwood has

I had my sandwiches at the Admiral Lord Collingwood's monument, it was too cold to hang around for too long so as soon as I finished I headed back down towards the River and started off for home.

I walked back along the Fish Quay and instead of going up the bank I went to the Ferry Landing, and took a couple of photos.

Looking East from the North Shields Ferry Landing
Ferry coming from the South Shields Ferry Landing.
From the ferry landing I found a path up towards the route I had walked out on.  When I joined the path of my route out I turned and headed back along the exact same way I had came in on and headed home.  Although cold it had been a good days walking. I had covered approx 20km.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Tyne and Wear or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment