Thursday 9 May 2013

ECP - South Shields to Roker Pier - Tyne and Wear 10 April 2013.

English Coastal Path
South Shields to Roker Pier and return
Tyne and Wear
Distance 29km
Wednesday 10th April 2013


This was the first real day off I had had since the New Year and I decided I would have a walk along the English Coastal Path (ECP).  I left the car next to the Bents Park and instead of walking to the pier which is what I usually do I decided that I would head North and head for the Groyne.

On the way I passed a crowd just standing about?
Walking behind the Little Haven Hotel I saw a couple of lads sweeping the sand off the path.  What I thought would be a never ending job. I followed the path to the river and turned right, East.  Walking to the end of the Groyne, I tried to remember the last time I was here, I think it was when I was a young boy?

View of the North and South piers.
The Groyne
View North West from the Groyne
From the Groyne I turned left, South, and started walking along the little haven beach.

View North to the Groyne from little haven beach
View South from the little haven beach

On reaching the start of the pier I turned left, East and headed along the pier. Follow link to my previous walk along this part of today's walk.

Walking along the pier I spent a little time watching the waves as they cashed against the inside pier wall.  If this was what it was like inside the piers what was it like outside the pier walls - calm?


From the pier looking West back towards the land.
At the end of the pier I saw the seal and tried to take its photo, the photo's did not come out very good.  Anyway I walked back along the pier, turned left, and headed South along the beach.

View from the beach looking back towards the piers
View from the beach looking towards Trow Rocks.  See the beach volley ball nets.
Walking South along the beach I turned and followed the path passed Trow Rocks then along the coast line beside the Leas.  Down the path to the beach at Marsden Rocks.  Up the stairs next to the Grotto and headed back along the path, still heading South.

I know in the distant past Marsden Rock had been a place where people had walked up and had tea parties and I think even dances.  Obviously looking at it today it will be hard to believe.  You can just see near the right hand side of the rock an indication of steps that have been cut into the rock

Marsden Rock
View of Marsden Rock and Grotto from the South looking North
I followed along the coast path, passed Souter lighthouse and headed towards Whitburn, still heading South.

Looks like rock giant legs?
At Whitburn I walked along the path at the coastal side of the now disused rifle range.

Looking North towards the area of the disused range.
Continuing South I passed the Whitburn cottages and started walking along the promenade.

View South towards Sunderland pier
Sunderland pier 
At the end of the promenade I walked across the sand at the Roker beach towards the Sunderland pier.  Today I found the pier gates closed due to the rough seas.  So I turned round and started heading North, back the way I came.


The gates to Roker park
Roker pier from the South
Trow Rocks from the South
I followed the route back exactly the same way back as I took to Sunderland pier.  When I reached the beach at South Shields I turned left towards Bents park and where I had left my car.  It had been a good day walking, with the Groyne I had covered approx 18 miles (29km).

More to follow

Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The English Coastal Path or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to another walk from South Shields to Roker Pier 23 December 2016
Follow link to another walk from South Shields to Roker Pier 13 July 2015
Follow link to another walk from South Shields to Roker Pier 16 March 2013

2 comments:

  1. Really an awesome article, love reading this as it was very attractive and helpful. Please keep posting such articles.
    Mussoorie Best Valley View Hotel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tooba that is great so glad you like my blog.

      Delete