Wednesday 4 September 2013

Kitzbuhel to Kitzbuheler Horn Cross return via Stanglalm - Austria 18 Aug 2013.

Kitzbuhel to Kitzbuheler Horn Cross return via Stanglalm 
Austria
Distance 23.5km Climb 1700m
Sunday 18th August 2013


Last year we had seen the open air mass on a crag near Hornkopfl so after breakfast at the Hotel Edelweiss we set off.  Anne would use one of our cable car tickets to go up the Kitzbuheler Horn and I would walk up, we would meet up near the top.  The idea was while I was walking up Kitzbuheler it would also give Anne some time to look around the shops and stalls that came out on a Sunday in a few places in the town.  

Walking through the town it was warm and sunny despite it being fairly early in the day. I crossed over the river, the main road and the train line before starting up hill passed the cable station at 763m at the bottom of the hill.


I had walked this way a few times, over the last three years, so I did not need to follow the signs, but they are easy to follow if needed.  The track up to the Kitzbuheler Horn is up, up then more up, I soon left the town behind as I worked my way up, the path leaves a tarmac road and goes onto a gravel path that moves through the trees, which gave me relief from the hot sun.

I reached the house that was still being built, it had not changed in the three years I had walked up here.  Never mind I cannot say anything, we still have the same tap dripping at home, I still have not fixed it.


I continue up the path which passes a pretty house at Adlern.  It always looked nice here and the views brilliant.


This part of the walk up to the Adlerhutte - the middle station at 1266m is the steepest part of the walk.  I am not saying this means the rest is flat, the walk is still climbing up with a few more steep stretches to go although they are not as bad as in the first part, they still manage to make the heart beat a little faster.


I had a quick drink of water and moved up through a patch of trees that open onto a wide track.  After a couple of steep climbs the view opens up on the right and I could see across to the Kitzbuheler Horn.  When the wind blew from the Kitzbuheler Horn I could hear the people gathering for the mass, the musicians playing their instruments on the breeze.


As I came across the rise at Trattalmen I joined the road below the Alpenhaus. I then turned right towards Alpenblumenweg.


I followed the signs up to the Hornkopfl 1773m.

Hornkopflhutte 1736m
Looking south from Hornkopflhutte
The people gathering for the mass, from Hornkopfl 1773m

I saw Anne from the top of the Hornkopfl and so walked down the hill and joined her with all the other people who were there.  After the mass as people started down the hill you could hear groups of musicians playing, taking their turns, playing the people down to the Alpenhaus cable station.  We had our pack lunches and drinks that I had carried up.  Then we moved up to the cross just below the Kitzbuheler Horn. 



 After a short rest at the Kitzbuheler Horn Cross we climbed over the fence and headed along the track to Harschbichl.  The track was not as wide or as well walked as the track I had used coming up.  In places it had cables fastened to the sides for walkers to hold if they needed the support.  The track was mostly in a Northern direction.








Look at the view!!!



After the steep track down we reached the road below Harschbichl, were we turned left, west, and followed a track through a wood.  Which took us down to the road to Stangalm 1458m.




 At Stanglalm we stopped for a drink and enjoyed the views before following the road down to Haslach 780m, it was very open.  


At Haslach we turned left and headed South West onto the Romerweg (Roman Way) and followed it into Kitzbuhel 761m.  



From the Romerweg we turned across a field that led us down a path back into the town.  Once in the town we headed towards the Hotel Edelweiss in time for tea and cake.  

We had covered approx. 23.5km with 1700m of climb and descent, a good days walking.

More to follow



Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Austria or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to next walk Kitzbuhel to Hochwildalmhutte
Follow link to previous walk Aschau to Spiessnagel
Follow link to another walk to Kitzbuheler Horn Cross return via Stanglalm 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment