Friday 19 September 2014

Kitzbuhel to Kitzbuheler Horn - Kitzbuhel - Austria 24 Aug 2014.

Kitzbuhel to Kitzbuheler Horn
Austria
Distance 10km Climb 1230m
Sunday 24th August 2014


This was the second time this holiday I have done this walk.  If you look at the pictures from 17th August 2014 you will see the difference a week can make.  Last week I walked up to meet Anne for the open air mass on a crag near Hornkopfl so though we could do the same today.  After breakfast at the Hotel Edelweiss we set off.  As usual Anne would use one of our cable car tickets to go up the Kitzbuheler Horn and I would walk up, we would meet up near the top.

A lovely group of Irish guests were staying at the hotel and we mentioned the mass, so I was expecting to see them on my walk up.  Today was also the day they had a race up the mountain.    

I walked through the bottom of the town, although the weather was sunny, there was a little damp in the air, as I walked up I could see cloud gathering and in places it was cold and chilly.  I crossed the river, the main road and the train line before starting up hill passed the cable station at 763m at the bottom of the Kitzbuheler Horn.


The track up to the Kitzbuheler Horn is up, up then more up, I soon left the town behind as I worked my way up, the path leaves a tarmac road and goes onto a gravel path that moves through the trees, becoming very steep in places. I was looking to take different pictures to what I had the previous week.


Looking across the valley I could hardly see the Rauher Kopf due to the cloud.



I reached and walked passed the house that was still being built.  I said previously it had not changed in the last four years, only the path to it was starting to become a little overgrown.  Still no change from last week.


The part of the walk up to the Adlerhutte - the middle station at 1266m is the steepest part of the walk.  From here there are still some steep parts to climb up, they are not as bad as in this first part.  





After a couple of steep climbs the view opens up on the right and if there was no cloud I would be able to see across to the Kitzbuheler Horn.


Looking down into the valley I could see part of the Kitzbuheler Horn race.  A lad from the hotel was taking part in the race. Later in the hotel we saw him arrive with a trophy, he came first in his age group, excellent.


Coming across the rise at Trattalmen I joined the road below the Alpenhaus. I then turned right towards Alpenblumenweg.  It did not look like there was anyone on the Hornkopfl for the mass.


As I approached Hornkopfl 1773m, I looked back at the hutte, last week this was full of people, cyclists and walkers.  Today there was nobody.



Today on looking across at the crags you can see there is no-one there, totally different to the numbers here last week.


I met Anne where the path joined the road which leads from the Alpenhaus to the Kitzbuheler Horn.  It was very cold now and despite having a sweat on I needed to put my coat on.


After a few meters, I moved onwards and upwards towards the cross and then the top.  Anne would walk at her own pace.



At the top they still had the race markers out and apparently were waiting for the last runner.  You can see what the view was like from the next few photos.  At the top I also met a group from the Irish party who were eating lunch waiting for some of their group who had decided to walk up.



After some lunch ourselves we took the cable car back to Kitzbuhel.  I would not normally cover this as it was not a walk but on our way down we saw a fox sleeping near by.  This was on the part from the middle station to Kitzbuhel and we had to go back round on the lift to catch this photo on the second pass.




Tea and cakes at the Hotel Edelweiss. All in I had covered approx 10km with 1230m of climb.

More to follow.


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Austria or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous walk in Austria Kitzbuhel to Oberndorf
Follow link to next walk in Austria Resterkogel to Aschau


No comments:

Post a Comment