Thursday 21 May 2015

Hartside to Comb Fell via Hedgehope Hill - Ingram Valley - Northumberland 20 May 2015.

Hartside to Comb Fell via Hedgehope Hill and return
Ingram Valley
Northumberland
Distance 18km Climb 710m
Wednesday 20 May 2015


I left the car near Hartside farm on the road through Ingram Valley. I walked west along the road towards Linhope, the road was a gentle drop downhill. Although bright and sunny there was still a little bit of a chill in the wind.


Looking west at Ritto Hill
Crossing the bridge there is a small collection of houses, at approx 230m height.  I followed the footpath signs left through a gate then there is a sign showing the footpath travels right up a gentle rise across a grassed area beside a small wood.  The grass footpath joins a track that turns north west and continues beside the wood and continues climbing. 



At the top corner (320m) I then turned right again and headed down beside the wood that dropped down to the stream (270m). There are a few trees lining the stream as it moves up towards the Linhope Spout waterfall.


The Spout looked stunning, it had been years since I was last here with my children, at that time we did not stay as it was crowded with people.



Looking back down the stream from the Sprout
From the Spout I climbed back up to the track and followed this to a footbridge. I then took the track north up Hedgehope Hill which was a steep path in places.

This used to be a small wood full of trees.
I passed the track I usually walk up Hedgehope.  Although the track had been dry so far, there was now water running down in places making parts of the track wet and boggy.  The views were stunning and the weather was very clear.  It was cold in places especially in the wind on the climb up.

View west
View south

View north up Hedgehope Hill
I sat for a short while next to the 714m trig point and had a cup of tea from my flask, enjoying the view. I could see for miles, the sun was glistening off the white ball at Boulmer, wish I had brought my binoculars. The last time I was here there was ice hanging off the fence and it was very very cold. 


After my short break I turned west towards Comb Fell, I had never walked along this route before and found it very boggy and very wet in places. In places I had to walk around small lakes, jump bogs and deep ditches. 

Comb Fell on the left with The Cheviot on the right
The hill dropped (560m) and then climbed up to Comb Fell (652m), in a place there were trying an experimental mesh which a sign said it was to make it easier walking across the area, although today the signs also asked people not to walk on the mesh just to give the grasses and mosses below it a chance to grow through.  Due to the ground this area took some time to cross.


Moving across the top of Comb Fell a jet flew up through the valley to my left, below where I was walking. I had seen jets fly below me up here before so it was no surprise,  I was just disappointed with it being so fast as I did not have the time to get my camera ready to take a picture.  A few minutes later two further jets flew up the valley on my right, again below where I was walking.

Moving off Comb Fell, I turned left and headed south towards Coldlaw Cairn. I had another short rest on the leeward side of Coldlaw Cairn and sat and really enjoyed the view. 

Comb Fell looking towards Coldlaw Cairn

Shill Moor from Coldlaw Cairn
A gentle drop and short rise south east to Shieldcleugh Edge (538m). I could hear the cry of a young curlew, the photos have not come out very clear. 

Coldlaw Cairn from Sheilcleugh Edge

Another short drop before another climb took me up to High Cantle where I moved to the cairn (482m).


I then turned east headed down across open moor following loose marked paths and a short climb up to Rig Cairn (460m). 


I continued east and dropped down a little to look at Carswell Cleugh before returning to the path and continue east.

Carswell Cleugh
I dropped down again, at the base of Ritto Hill I checked the time and decided I had time to include Ritto Hill (380m). 

Ritto Hill from the north west
Hedgehope Hill from Ritto Hill
View east from Ritto Hill
It was then down and rejoin the track next to the wood on the west of Linhope.  I returned back along the track through Linhope, crossed the bridge, then headed up and climbed the road back to Hartside.iHh        


It had been a great day, I had covered approx 18km with approx 710m climb in about 4.5 hours.
Excellent day.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Northumberland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.




No comments:

Post a Comment