Saturday 30 May 2015

Kinder Scout - Peak District 26 May 2015.

Edale to Kinder Scout and return
Peak District
Distance 17km Climb 510m
Tuesday 26 May 2015


This was shown as Number 21 on ITV's Britain's Favourite Walks in January 2018. 

I moved up from the Edale Station (230m) through the village and continued passed The Old Nags Head, which is the official start of The Pennine Way. I had walked The Pennine Way approx 4 years ago. This time I had some time to have a look around and enjoy the area. I had left Anne at the station, Anne was going to Sheffield for the day while I was out for a walk.



I moved north passed the pub onto a gravel track, at a gate there is a sign for Grindsbrook Clough which took me down to a footbridge over the stream.


As I moved up by the wood that followed the stream north west I moved off north and started climbing up hill.



At a gate I continued climbing passed The Nab and took the path that led me to scramble up the stones to the Ringing Rocks (530m).



After taking a few photos I continued north to the track at the top of the ridge (590m). I travelled west over Nether Tor then Upper Tor.



I continued around the top crossing a deep stream where I turned north west then south west from where I could see walkers coming up the Grindsbrook Clough. My route passed that trail and I sat for a short while on the top ridge along from Grindslow Knoll. Admiring the range of hills to the south and some of the strange stone shapes in the area. I was fascinated by their shapes.




I continued west on the ridge on the south side of Edale Moor where there was a drop and a climb to a number of tall rocks which stood at the top of the Crowden Clough (590m).


I had intended to head north across Kinder Scout but continued a little along the ridge, as I said I was fascinated by the strange shaped rocks.


As I had moved off my route I took a compass bearing just slightly off the north direction and headed across open country to try and join the path across Kinder Scout. There was a lot of high and low deep water peat bogs, some flooded and dammed that I had to cross before I returned to the path.  The path followed a stream running north west which turned further west to join up with The Pennine Way at Kinder Downfall (600m).



From the top of Kinder Downfall I could see Kinder Reservoir lying to the west.


The wind was too strong for the amount of water flowing down the Kinder Downfall and the wind turned the water more into a spray than a fall of water.


I moved south west along The Pennine Way.

Just passed The Red Brook I met a couple of walkers who were looking for Edale, they were heading in the wrong direction, I showed them on my map where we were and where I was going.  I continued to the trig point at Kinder Low (633m) and I noticed them following me.


I moved on south to Edale Rocks (590m) where I discussed further the way to Edale with the walkers I had met. I think they must have turned back to where they started.


I continued down through Jacobs Ladder towards Upper Booth (280m).


There is a small climb on the way towards Edale of 350m before it starts to drop gently back to Edale Village.


I continued downhill passed The Old Nags Head to Edale Station, where I met Anne at the Rambler Inn.



It had been a good day walking, I had covered 17km with 510m climb.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in the Peak District or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to Day 1 of my Pennine Way
Follow link to another walk across Mam Tor joining this walk near Kinder Low


No comments:

Post a Comment