Friday 26 June 2015

Trows Road End to Windy Gyle - Northumberland 23 June 2015.

Trows Road End to Windy Gyle and Return
Northumberland
Distance 11.5km Climb 450m
Tuesday 23 June 2015


It looked like the weather today was going to be similar to the weather yesterday, wet and cold. It was overcast and there as a strong cold breeze, despite the forecast saying it was going to be good.

I parked the car at the parking area Trows Road End (250m) where the Rowhope Burn joints the River Coquet, on the road from Alwinton to Carshope. It was overcast and I felt a few raindrops as I started up the road north west through the valley.  I had been up and down Windy Gyle from various directions a number of years ago but I could not remember walking this route.

The road follows the burn up the valley, turning north, through Rowhope Farm and on to Trows, there are footbridges across the burn as the path crosses the burn on its way up the valley.







At a stream junction I took the footbridge over the left, westerly stream and followed a grass path that I could see stretching north.  As I climbed it twisted around a few rises up towards Trows Law.  Unlike yesterday, visibility was good and it was along here a fell runner passed me. It started to get warm and a warm gentle breeze was now blowing, I decided that I could now remove my waterproof jacket.   

Looking South West towards Trows


Another km further north and I took a path to the left which headed northerly.  

Looking North East

Looking South West

I started the climb and as I moved up I turned further west across country until I came to a fence. A turn right, over a style and it was a short climb up to Russell Cairn and the trig point 619m. 



A number of Belgian soldiers were in the area along with the fell runner. I could see a number of other groups of Belgium soldiers heading here.  After a short stop where I collected my thoughts and made a decision as to where I was going next, I turned west and followed The Pennine Way. The ground drops and climbs a couple of times before I reached the point where The Street crossed The Pennine Way.  The sun was out now and any cloud had long disappeared, it was very warm and the views beautiful.




At the junction I turned south down the Street which is an old drovers route. 

Looking North East from the Street to Windy Gyle
Looking South West
Looking North towards Mozie Law
The Street

A short climb up Black Braes before it drops to the bottom of Swineside Law. The Street then climbs the east side of Swineside Law and has some tremendous views before dropping again to the south. The Street now turns south east then directly east as it starts to head for the valley and where I had parked the car.






A brilliant day walking and even running down the hills of beautiful Northumberland - excellent. I had covered approx 11.5km with 450m climb.

Loved it.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Northumberland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to Day 14 of my Pennine Way
Follow link to another walk up Lamb Hill




No comments:

Post a Comment