Wednesday 30 September 2015

Alwinton to Wether Cairn - Northumberland 24 Sept 2015.

Alwinton to Wether Cairn and return
Northumberland
Distance 20km Climb 563m
Thursday 24 September 2015


I saw a lovely walk on the internet the other day and so I thought I would give it a go.  Unfortunately due to the time I left home I was already running a little behind on the timing, but I thought I would have a look anyway. It was a walk by someone called Geoff Holland and his site was full of interesting information.

I started in Alwinton and walked east through the village over the green and small bridge onto an ancient drovers trail called Clennell Street.



Where I headed north for approx. 600m before taking a path across a style eastwards again over a couple of open fields, towards Clennell.


At Clennell I crossed the footbridge over the River Alwin and walked onto the road passed the west side of a farm.



The road continued in a northern direction passed a small forestry block then below an old fort, Camp Knowe, before crossing back across the River Alwin. It was as I crossed the River Alwin for the third time at the bottom of The Dodd I realised something was wrong and I had to return back the same route to Alwinton. Turning back put over another hour onto my walk and this meant I would certainly not be able to complete the whole route today.


Another hour later I was back at the bottom of The Dodd ready to follow the grass path north up the 332m climb. I could see to the north east the exposed hillside from the work that had been done in harvesting the wood around Kidlandee.

From The Dodd I continued along the footpath north east over a gate and followed the fence up Puncherton Hill 410m.


After following the fence line north east, I continued north east over the open country, keeping to the high ground heading to the far east side of Kidland Forest avoiding any unnecessary climb down.


I reached the fence on the south east corner of Kidland Forest and followed this north east again. Crossing the style I headed north passed the cairn up to the trig point on Wether Cairn 563m.



I had a short rest, a drink of tea, quick snack and considered my options, after the late start and the hour having to return to Alwinton. I could have continued with the route but I would not have returned home until it was late, and this would have caused some problems. I thought about going as far as Bloodybush Edge but again I would have been late getting home.  So I decided to return back to Alwinton down the south east side of Kidland Forest.


It was warm and sheltered by the forest as I followed the steep fence line down hill. At Cat Cleugh I crossed the style onto a forest path that continued south east along the forests edge.


Near the bottom of the Allerhope Burn, I could see the extent of the wood harvesting.


A lot of work had been done in the area including a new bridge. I crossed the bridge and turned south down the forest track.



I could have stayed on the forest track which was the same track I had been on earlier and would take me back to the bottom of The Dodd then onto Clennell. Instead I decided to cross the style about a 1 km from the footbridge. This would take me onto a grass path that travelled south climbing the east side of a hill.


From the track it gave me a view over almost all of the walk up over The Dodd, Puncherton Hill and up to the east side of Kidland Forest.



Looking east I could also see over onto the old fort on Camp Knowe, where I had walked below three times today.


The path joined Clennell Street near an area that showed what looks like to me ancient field furrows, but I may be wrong.


The path then drops gently down to an area shown on the map as Castle Hills.


Castle Hills have a very commanding view over the area.



From Castle Hills I turned east and re-joined Clennell Street.


I followed Clennell Street, back to the footbridge at Alwinton where I crossed and returned to my car.  Including my un planned return to Alwinton earlier today I had walked 20km with a 563m climb.  Although still a lovely walk, I will get up earlier another day and come back to do the walk I had planned.

More to follow


Boz North 
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Northumberland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to another walk to Wether Cairn - 14 Oct 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment