Sunday 20 September 2015

Jarrow to Penshaw Monument - Tyne and Wear 18 Sept 2015.

Jarrow to Penshaw Monument and return
Tyne and Wear
Distance 27km Climb 156m
Friday 18 September 2015


I previously thought that I would not write up this walk on my blog, as it started as a very urban walk along very busy noisy roads. Not particularly interesting or pleasant but from the Washington Wetlands Centre the countryside and the views took over and made me change my mind. This is reflected in the number of photos I took.

I walked through Jarrow on the B1516 York Avenue heading south. Over the roundabout passed the Prince of Wales along Calfclose Lane. Turning south under the road metro bridge. Continuing south east on the main road over the busy A19. At the T junction I turned right and continued south east, this was a busy noisy road.  I passed the cinema complex and the obligatory McDonalds, on my right was the Boldon Quality Hotel. Crossing the road at the roundabout took some time due to the traffic, within a short time I was walking south on a quiet narrow bridle path.    


The bridle path moves by the A19 and I climbed the side where many had walked before up to the road that crosses over the A19. I turned south west over the A19 and continued on the A1290, I could see Penshaw Monument in the distance over a number of wind turbines.


This was another long busy, noisy road that took me passed the Sunderland Aircraft Museum.  Which looked an interesting place to visit with our grandchildren. I passed the Nissan offices junction as I continued south west, passed West Moor Farm to the next road junction. I turned left, south east onto a road that turned south west under the Nissan bridge, passing large factory units on either side. Nissan car transporters moved loudly up and down the road.  This took me to a roundabout next to another Nissan unit, I turned left and headed south east again, passed more large factory units. Another right turn at the next T junction and I was heading south. This took me passed the large Fire Brigade Centre at Barmston Mere.

This road joined a large roundabout that was where slip roads joined the A1231, I took the path that crossed the A1231 towards Washington District 15, Pattinson. Another few hundred meters south and I was at a sign pointing left, east, towards Washington Wetland Centre. Another few hundred meters and I turned right, south, towards the Wetlands Centre, passed a large DWP complex.  At the end of the road is a car park for the Wetland Centre.  I had a quick look and again thought this looked another interesting place to bring our grandchildren.

Back at the car park I took the path at the far side towards a narrow footpath that headed towards the River Wear.  This in places had a steep steps down hill, and was where the walk turned into a real pleasure. I could hear birds singing it was a real delight.



Heading south west by the river I could see the Cox Green bridge over the river. There was a narrow steep footpath down beside a house where I could see some beautiful roses growing over the garden fence from the top of the path. A number of paths joined at the bottom and I saw signs for a marshall point on a walk that was being held this weekend.  I crossed the bridge.


On the south side of the river I turned right and walked a couple of hundred meters by the river before turning left up a steep footpath south away from the river.


At the top the path took me across an open field that led back to a small wood, the path was now a gentle climb and took me through a narrow path with nettles and blackberry bushes. This came out near some farm buildings and led to a path across another open field where there were a couple of nice looking horses. I could see Penshaw Monument over the trees and bushes.


The footpath took me across a road and started to climb the edge of a field, it did not take long before the views opened out behind me. I saw more signs for the walk this weekend. The narrow path reached a small track where I turned left, A sign on my right directed me to a narrow steep path up the side of Penshaw Hill to the Monument and trig point at 136m high.

 



I could see for miles, the views were stunning, another reason why I decided to include in my blog, after a few photos I headed back down. I took the same route back down to the farm buildings and rather than the footpath across the fields I headed down directly through the wood which took me by a small stream, a gentle climb and the footpath then dropped down to a road. The road took me to the east side of Cox Green, where I saw an interesting pub. I resisted the temptation to call in.


I crossed the bridge and climbed the small bank by the house with the roses in the garden and returned on the path by the River Wear where I saw a shag sunning itself.  I stood and watched it for some time but could not get the award winning photo I had hoped.  It did not take me long to return to the Washington Wetlands Centre.




I returned by the same route, however this time as I passed many of the junctions there were numbers of cars with people either going home or starting work at Nissan. The A1290 was particularly busy, as I passed a gap in the bushes I took a photo of a plane held at the Air Museum.



As I arrived back in Jarrow, my new mobile phone showed that I had been walking for 5.5 hours and covered over 27km with approx. 156m climb. Although the walk was along busy, noisy roads and through factory units the part from the Washington Wetlands Centre up to Penshaw Monument was brilliant and worth the effort. That was why I decided to include in my blog.

More to follow


Boz North 
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Tyne and Wear or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow links to other walks from Jarrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment