Thursday 15 October 2015

Shillmoor to Bloodybush Edge via Green Side, Wether Cairn - Northumberland 14 Oct 2015.

Shillmoor to Bloodybush Edge via Green Side, Wether Cairn and Return
Northumberland
Distance 25km Climb 961m
Wednesday 14 October 2015


This was another version of a walk I saw on The Cheviot Hills walkabout website, from Geoff Holland. Today I got up early and parked my car on a piece of hard standing across the stream to Shillmoor (210m).


I crossed the bridge turned south east and walked passed the front of the house. It was cold when I started and I was wrapped up in my coat, gloves and woolly hat. Once through the gate I continued along the grass path by the wall, over the foot bridge and around the south of The Knocks.  There was a little bit of frost in the shade and the footbridge over the Passpeth Sike was slippery.  


Over Passpeth Sike I followed the bridleway up the Pass Peth.


On reaching the finger post at the top of the bridleway I turned north east and continued climbing along sheep tracks. I soon found I was now a little over dressed as it turned very warm.  When I reached the trig point on Green Side (389m) I packed the woolly hat, gloves, coat and a layer of clothing into my daysack.


A quick drink of water and I continued north east over a little undulating ground to a fence line that I followed up to Lords Seat (392m).


Lords Seat
From Lords Seat I could see where I was going next, this entailed a steep climb down north to where the Alwinton Burn came out of a small wood to my left.  It was slippery walking down the wet grass which was in the shade on the side of the hill and still very wet so I had to take care. Once at the bottom I climbed up a small re-entrant to the fence line that I followed north east up the side of the hill. Along here the ferns were high and wet as I walked through them.



At the top I crossed a style onto Clennell Street. Crossing the street I continued north east across open ground to the bottom south corner of Kidland Forest.  This part of the forest has been harvested. I stayed on the right of the area and followed a fence line north east as it headed down hill and reached a forest track that ran next to the River Alwin. A couple of large empty forestry vehicles passed as I was walking down hill, something to watch out for when walking the forest track.


I headed north on the forest track, where I had walked a few weeks ago. Taking the new bridge over the River Alwin and turning east I crossed a style onto a path that would take me along the eastward side of Kidland Forest. I made good time along both these stretches of track.



After Cat Cleugh I crossed the style over the fence and started walking a steep narrow grass path, this was where I slowed a little. Eventually I reached the crossing point that would take me up to the cairn below Wether Cairn trig point (563m).



The views were stunning and I could see across to The Cheviot where I was last week with my friend Ian. After a short break I continued in a northerly direction following close by the fence line. In place the ground was soaked and the peat very slippery. After the rise Cushat Law was in front of me.  Again the path down was slippery and this was mirrored on the far slope, going up.


It has been many years since I was last on Cushat Law (615m) and all I could remember was mist, rain and being very cold.  It was so much better today.


From Cushat Law I continued along the fence line, the wet ground did not make for easy walking as I slipped and slide down north west then turned west to start the climb up Bloodybush Edge (610m). Again I had memories of wind, mist, rain and oh the cold. Today I was seeing it all at its best, absolutely brilliant.


I then had to make a decision, would I follow the route round to Yarnspath Law for the route up Shillhope or find a route back to the car.  I calculated that I only had time to head for the car, this would still take another two hours, even so I was a little disappointed. I took the path next to the fence towards Yarnspath Law.


200m after crossing a style I took a footpath south west over open country before following the edge of the forest.


A further 400m next to the forest and the path crosses a style into the forest. After a short while it comes out onto a forest track, turn right.


From the forest track there was excellent views down the valley. After a while the path joins up with Clennell Street. Along here there were fantastic views back across the tops I had walked today.


After approx 1500m I took the footpath to my right, this would take me back to Shillmoor.


Crossing a style into a field the ground was very wet. Which improved as the footpath left the field and became a wide grass track.


Walking down the large grass path, across Copper Snout and Saugh Rigg, I could see Shillhope Law to my right, I was a little disappointed I would not be able to include Shillhope in my walk today, but not to worry they will be other times.



I could see down onto Shillmore as the path turned back onto the footpath I had started on at the beginning of my walk.  It was then walk back in front of the house, cross the bridge and return to my car.  I had covered approx. 25km with 961m climb and had a very good day.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Northumberland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment