Monday 9 November 2015

Edale to Mam Tor and Brown Knoll return down PW - Peak District 5 Nov 2015

Edale to Mam Tor and Brown Knoll return down PW 
Peak District
Distance 21km Climb 740m
Thursday 5 November 2015


Mam Tor Number 10 on ITV's Britain's Favourite Walks shown January 2018. 
It was raining and misty as we drove across to Edale. The last time I walked here I went north, today I was going to look south.  Anne was going to have a look round the shops of Manchester. I parked the car at Edale Station 240m and walked up the road towards the church.


The footpath I was taking turned east next to the church yard. I hope the sign was not an indication of things to come.


The footpath took me south east across fields, I could not see any of the heights I would be walking on as they were covered by mist.


The footpath took me under the railway and across fields.


I crossed a road and the path dropped down to join a farm lane that once it crossed a stream started climbing south east towards Hollins Cross 390m.


Unfortunately there was no view from the top, I thought I was alone yet I could hear people below the ridge. A quick map check and I turned left easterly up the ridge.


On the way I passed another walker, I spent a few minutes talking to him, he was an interesting character. As I climbed the mist continued to obscure the views which was a shame but it was still good walking.




The path crossed Back Tor and climbed up to Lose Tor 476m. After a quick photo of the mist I turned round and returned back along the ridge to Hollins Cross.



As I walked back to Hollins Cross I passed a group of about 8 walkers on their way to Lose Hill they asked if the view was better up there, no unfortunately it was not.

I passed another group as I approached Hollins Cross, it was very busy up here.


Another quick check of the map, reset the compass and I moved along the ridge towards Mam Tor. The path was made of stone and led me straight up the climb to the trig point at Mam Tor 517m. There are a lot of little features cemented in the area around the trig point.


A quick sandwich and I continued heading south west to drop down to the road.


As it was a little clearer here I moved down the hill a little to take a look east along the valley towards the Blue John.



As I moved back up the road I caught a glimpse of a kestral.




I crossed the road and started up the footpath to Rushup Edge which climbed up to Lord's Seat 540m where there is an old Tumulus.



I continued along by the wall as it slopped down hill until it met a junction. Here I passed a group of four German walkers. I turned right in a northerly direction. After about 400m I turned from the main path and followed a bearing across open ground. There was a lot of bog in the area and I had to watch were I was walking. It was very wet. You could see where people had previously walked.



As I was approaching Brown Knoll 569m the mist was turning into rain, visability was low. After the trig point I checked my bearing and continued north east to the fence line.



I turned right and headed north east along a stone path which turned north, visibility was very low and the rain was getting heavier.


I walked up to Edale rocks where I had another sandwich in a little shelter. I had wanted to go around the tops back to Edale but with the weather and the time of day light left I decided to return by the lower route.


So after walking up to Kinder Low trig point 633m I turned round and headed down hill.



As I approached Jacobs Ladder the mist started to lift although it was still raining.


On my way back rather than follow the Pennine Way I followed the footpath to Barber Booth, the views across the valley opened up as the mist lifted showing me where I had walked.



The rain lifted for a few minutes before starting again, as I approached Edale Station. I had a few minutes to spare before Anne's train came in. A good day walking I had covered 21km with approx 740m climb.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in the Peak District or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to my Day 1 of the Pennine Way
Follow link to another walk across Kinder Scout.


No comments:

Post a Comment