Thursday 24 March 2016

Grid NZ 064 987 to Tosson Hill and Return - Northumberland 23 March 2016

Grid NZ 064 987 to Tosson Hill and Return
Simonside Hills, Rothbury
Northumberland
Distance 15km
Wednesday 23 March 2016


I had originally looked at this as a way to check out part of the St Oswald's Way but found I would look further around the area.  I parked my car at a carpark shown on the map at grid NZ 064 987 (200m). Crossing the road I climbed the gate and headed along a little gully north. Climbing a slight rise there was a slight drop before starting a climb up to the trig point Garleigh Moor (268m).

Looking west I could see a cloud of smoke from where they were burning heather. This was where I was now going to head.  I could see a number of similar fires all over the areas. Wednesday must be burning day.



Looking at my map I saw the details of a hilltop fort to my west so thought I would take a look and try and find one of the cup and ring marked stones. Walking across heather and open country.



From the fort I headed south west to the car park at the bottom of The Beacon. I crossed the road and started up the track up The Beacon.


There was a lot of Red Grouse in the area. Walking up The Beacon I decided to continue up and along the ridge west rather than follow St Oswald's Way south west. On my way up I saw this fellow near the track.



A little further another Red Grouse was sitting by a rock pool.


As I climbed The Beacon (360m) I took the opportunity to look back and I could see the markings on the hill of the hilltop fort where I had been previously.


I continued along the ridge up onto Dove Crag (393m) and passed a couple of runners on their way down.



Continuing along I climbed Old Stell Crag. Along here the path has large stones to walk on to protect the peat.


Where I saw the lion in the rocks on the far side. In parts this area reminded me of some walks I had done in the Peak District.


Then I was up onto the cairn at Simonside (430m). I could see part of the wood to the west had been harvested. This was where I was heading after taking the steep path down.


From the bottom of the hill I continued west up the path next to the felled wood. Passing through a gate at the top of the rise. Then I was walking in open moorland.


I continued along south west towards Tosson Hill (440m).


After a short break and a look at my map I had a quick think about where I was going to go next. Should I continue south west or walk back the way I had come. As they were burning heather if I continued south west I decided to keep away from that area and turned south east and headed across country to Lamb Cairn.



I could see large areas of the woods had been harvested, again as the other day a lot of replanting had also taken place. From Lamb Cairn I continued along a path south east to a track. I crossed the track and walked a gravel track south east, the track turns sharp right, I continued up a grass rise to Blackcock Cairn.


I walked east to Coquet Cairn and joined the St Oswald's Way, which had been my intention to walk originally. I would like to come back another day and check this out.


I was enjoying walking this part of St Oswald's Way, it seams unspoilt as I walked down hill to cross the ford walking up to Spylaw.



Spylaw the internet shows me is a scout ran building which can be booked and used by other groups for walking in the area.


The map shows the St Oswald's Way moves across country however the signs keep you on the track as it heads east then turns north east.



Where it joins the path I had walked earlier up The Beacon. On the way I felt a few splashes of rain which just stopped as soon as it started.


On reaching this car park, instead of turning down the road south east towards the car park where I left my car, I continued on The St Oswald's Way. I was looking for the cup and ring marked stones shown on the information board. There are a few stones with ancient marks on them, but this is the one shown on the panel.


Leaving the cup and ring marked stone I headed south east across country and climbed the ridges back to the car park where I had left the car.


I had enjoyed today, this was the first time I had walked this area. I had covered approx 15 km with 550m climb. I will come back.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Northumberland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.


No comments:

Post a Comment