Monday 29 August 2016

My Kinlochleven Trail Day 1 - Highlands 22 August 2016.

My Kinlochleven Trail Day 1
Highlands
Distance 7.5km Climb 810m
Monday 22 August 2016


I was in Scotland for a few days and took an opportunity to take in a quick walk. Due to the traffic on my way up I did not have the time I would have liked to go a little further. 

I left my car at Kinlochleven near the Blackwater campsite (20m). A place I have stayed a couple of times in the past. I stayed here on my WHW in March 2009 and again when I did the WHW in June 2012 with Anne and my brother.

I could see people walking around with midges nets on and within seconds of stepping out of the car I was getting eaten alive. So as soon as I was ready I was on my way. I followed the route of The West Highland Way north west through the town.


I had seen a number of walkers as I passed through the town. Following the B863 I took the footpath that started climbing north west along the WHW as it left the town.


Climbing through the forest there was no let up from the midges, even as the path cleared the trees.


The WHW dropped down slightly to cross the Allt Coire na h-Eirghe, then climbs gently north west.


Approximately 150m west of the 237m height I turned further west and took the narrow path that drops sharply down hill. In places the path was slippery, I could see across the small glen, the steep path I was looking for on the other side, before that I had to drop down through a gate and down to a footbridge over the Allt Nathrach.




Then it was a steep climb west as the path started to twist and turn its way up hill.


I reached an area of fairly level ground and found an area for my campsite (510m), there were very few midges here. After a call home I set up my tent and had a quick meal.




When I was ready I set off again, west and started climbing again.



As I climbed I could see the mist coming down and visibility was reducing.


After a couple of photos on the Beinn na Caillich (764m) I climbed back down to my campsite.



Light was fading as I was returning to my tent and I could see the lights on in Kinlochleven.


I woke up a couple of times in the night and the stars were bright, unfortunately none of the photos came out.


I had walked 7.5 km with 810m climb.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Scotland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to Kinlochleven Day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment