Friday 16 December 2016

ECP - Boulmer to Dunstanburgh - Northumberland 15 Dec 2016.

English Coastal Path
Boulmer to Dunstanburgh and return
Northumberland
Distance 18.5km
Thursday 15 December 2016


I decided I would do a walk up the coast joining a previous walk north up to Boulmer with a walk south from Newton by the Sea to Craster. I left the car park at Boulmer which is next to the beach and dropped down straight onto the sand. The tide was well out and I could see the rocks way out in the bay. I turned left, north and walked up the beach.



It was cold and a cold wind blew from the south behind me. It was overcast all day, fortunately it stayed dry. I walked up the sand, passed the houses, onto the rocks which were slippery in places with small rock pools in places. Seaweed and kelp lay in piles where it had been washed up from previous tides. At the moment the tide was well out. I climbed a path from the beach, this took me up onto a small track. The path I was on is shown as The North Sea Trail, the Northumberland Coastal Path and the St Oswald's Way. As I moved north I would move right and left off these paths as I would go and look at things that interested me on my way.


Passing through a gate I dropped back onto the sand. In places where it was a little sheltered from the wind it was relatively warm.



I passed a barbedwire fence that went out across the rocks out towards the sea, I couldn't understand why you would need a barbedwire fence here? From here I moved back inland, back onto the path with the three names.


I dropped down onto the path and through a gate that lead to a wooden footbridge over a small stream. On the other side I climbed up the edge and followed a narrow track up and down along the edge of a number of sand dunes. Seeing a number of cow-pats I thought there were cows in the area but found out later on my way back they were young bulls.

From the dunes I dropped back onto the path where there was a gate with a red emergency phone. Continuing north I turned off the path and dropped down onto the sand and crossed Sugar Sands. A lad was beach fishing at least 200m from the path.


Following the edge of the rocks I walked around Iron Scars.


Following around the coast I came across a footbridge, so I climbed a large step up to the side of the footbridge.



Over the bridge the path splits, so I took the right hand path near the sea. For a short stretch the path is tarmac. This picture was taken looking back to the south.


The tarmac does not last for long before the path becomes a narrow slippery muddy path. This took me to the east of a farm called Sea Houses, passing some interesting features carved out of the bolder clay by erosion.


Dunstanburgh Castle was always to my front. Passing an interesting looking little house the path is made out of more tarmac.



Following the tarmac path by a fence line it led me through a gate up to a road. As the path runs by the road for a few hundred meters I made the decision to leave the coastal path and head inland for a short distance to see a trig point.


I followed the road north approx 800m and turned left along a footpath at Howick Scar. This path was slippery and led me to the north end of Hips Heugh. Through a gate and turning south east I walked the ridge to the Hips Heugh trig point. It looks to me Hips Heugh is built on part of the Northumberland great whinsill. Although a little overcast there was still enough to enjoy the views.


After a few photos and a quick cup of tea I returned to Howick Scar, continuing across the road following the footpath signs through the farm.


After the farm there is a short climb before the path crosses an open field and drops down left towards Craster.


On reaching the edge of Craster there is a gate before the footpath follows the coast to the harbour. Again it was muddy and slippery.


The path goes through a cafe terrace area before reaching the harbour.


On walking up to the road I could see smoke from where they make the world famous kippers.

At the road I turned right and followed it down then up to the junction where I turned right towards Dunstanburgh Castle.


It is always a nice walk up to the castle as it looks dramatic. Oyster catchers heralded my approach. Just before arriving at the castle I could see a strip of golden sand and the sea beyond. I like walking to the castle from the north side.


After a couple of photos it was time to turn around and head back.


The Craster kippers were still smoking.


When I reached the far end of Craster, I took the path by the coast. I am not sure but a lot of the rock in this area reminded me of the limestone I saw when I did the Yorkshire three peaks.


Looking down the views were stunning.



I could see the tide was now making its way in, if I had walked back along the beach the way I had come, I would have had wet feet, very wet feet.  Just passed Sea Houses I saw a lad fishing from just off the path, the tide had come in that much.


This picture below is looking south from almost the same spot as an earlier photo, above. You can see how much the tide has come in.

I was disturbing more oyster catchers on my return journey. I only saw a few on my way up near the castle now nearly every open space had a group of oyster catchers.


I would not be able to walk from the footbridge around Iron Scares now.


Most of the barbed wire fence is now under water.


It was starting to get darker as I approached Boulmer. Lights were going on in the houses.


I passed the Boulmer life boat and the car park was there on my left.


I could see the boats floating out at sea, earlier in the day they were almost just off the beach with no water to float them.

I had taken loads of pictures today, too many to include in my blog. I hope the ones I have chosen gave a flavour of my walk. I had covered approx. 18.5km with no real climb to record.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The English Coastal Path or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to walk north, from Newton by the Sea to Craster.
Follow link to walk south, from Warkworth to Boulmer.


No comments:

Post a Comment