Sunday 2 April 2017

Weardale Way Day 2 - Worm Hill to Finchale Priory - Tyne and Wear to Co Durham 31 March 2017

Weardale Way - Day 2
Worm Hill to Finchale Priory and return
Tyne and Wear to Co Durham
Distance 28km Climb 380m
Friday 31 March 2017


I had walked from Bede's Cross to Worm Hill in February, the first part of the Weardale Way on the LDWA website. Today was my second day and I was going to walk a little further on the 124km Weardale Way.

I drove up and down Fatfield looking for a place to leave the car, eventually I decided on a place near Worm Hill. Leaving the car I walked passed Worm Hill and down the bank and turned right towards the Fatfield War Memorial.


Following my walk here in February I found out that the original Memorial Cross had been damaged in a gale and had been turned into a spike. When I was younger I remember the spiked monument on Worm Hill. Today the War Memorial is located further down the hill and has a new cross, you can see the new stone cross on the memorial.


Returning back to the bridge, I could see Penshaw Monument to the East.


Crossing over the Station Road Bridge I turned right, south west and dropped down to the path by the river. Look out for the crocodile.


The path moves into a small wood that looks like it has been used as bike track with jumps. The path is a little bashed here, but comes out onto a bridleway behind some bungalows, I turned right, south east, along to a road. At the road I turned right and followed the path under the A182 Washington Highway as it turned south then east.


The footpath turns south east and follows the Washington Highway for approx 800m. The sound of the traffic was a bit off putting but soon the path turns away and heads south next to a fence line. This is the boundary on the east side of Biddick Hall. Lots of trees in the area deaden the sound of the traffic and I could hear the birds singing in the sunshine. This path took me away from the River Wear, I will be coming back to the Wear a little further on my walk.


On reaching the A183, I was a little unsure which way the footpath continued. It appears to be straight across the road, however checking the map it is across the road and approx 50m to the left. Eventually I saw the footpath sign that led down some steps to a path next to an old disused railway line.

After walking by the edge of a narrow strip wood, south, the footpath moves along the edge of a field. Across the field to my right I could see the houses of Bournmoor. The footpath moves away from the old railway line and turns slightly south west. Moving through a gap in some trees I was on a proper track heading towards some houses, one with a couple of distinctive twisted brick chimneys.

Across a narrow road the footpath rises a little over a grassy area before dropping to a footbridge over a stream. From the footbridge there is a slight climb up a new tarmac path to the A1052. Turn right on the A1052 and follow it north west, down hill to The Floaters Mill.


From The Floaters Mill my route was across the road. There are two footpath gates, I took the one on the right, that runs by Lumley Park Burn. This was the stream I crossed earlier on my way up to the A1052.

Lumley Park Burn runs through Lumley Park Wood and it was lovely and peaceful walking through here, all I could hear where birds singing.


As the path climbs from Lumley Park Wood it arrives at a road that passes under the A1.


I turned right, north and crossed the road, taking the footpath up the steep sided bank that cuts off the bend in the road.


At the top of the bank I turned left, north on the road. After about 10m there is a narrow road that turns left, west. It is shown as a private road but has a public footpath sign, so I crossed the style and continued along the private road.

The road crosses over the A1 and twists and turns a little passing a farm before turning to a grass track into Lumley Park Wood. Down to my right I could see Lumley Park Burn.


The path dropped and twisted, at times following the Lumley Park Burn. I passed a bridge on my left and through the trees I could see the back of Lumley Castle. A little further the footpath follows a wall leading to a house. The footpath is signposted to the right of the house. At the far end a little gate shows Waugh's Way, but I have not been able to find any details on who Waugh was. Checking an old map on the internet it shows the house was previously called the Garden House.


From the house the track drops down to the Burn and becomes a narrow path, slippery in places.


At the north of the footpath the track turns west and south where it crosses a bridge onto the golf course. The footpath heads south west crossing the golf course. Near where Lumley Park Burn joins the River Wear the footpath leaves the golf course and heads south by the River Wear. Looking back I could see Lumley Castle.


The footpath now follows south by the River Wear, passing under Lumley New Road. The Riverside, Durham Cricket Ground, Chester-le-Street, is on the opposite bank.


After approx 1km the path again moves away from the river and heads up through a small wood. After crossing a stream the footpath climbs a little up through trees. Coming out of the wood the path heads south east by the trees.


From the trees there is no signs but my map shows a sharp left, east, turn. Following a hedge line it was a steep climb to the top of the field where I crossed a style and turned left, south, then over another style. I found I was now on "Cuddys Corse". A walk along which St Cuthbert's Community carried St Cuthbert's coffin and the Lindisfarne Gospels from Chester-le-Street to Durham.

The footpath climbs steadily upward. At the top it turns sharp left, east, up to the road. I was now at Great Lumley.  



Crossing the road and continuing south down a road beside a housing estate, as the road turns left a footpath continued south through fields. Following the footpath along hedged lined field borders, left east, then right, south coming out on the road Cocken Lane near Charles Pit cottages.

The road drops and climbs a little to a T junction with Cocken Road. This was the first time today I saw a sign showing I was on the Weardale Way.


I turned left and walked approx 100m to the steps that took me down a steep climb down to the River Wear again. Through the trees I could see Finchale Priory. Down the steps I crossed the bridge over the River Wear to Finchale Priory.


A couple of guinea fowl were wandering around the picnic area. I could see how people say birds come from prehistoric times. After my sandwiches I had a walk around the Priory.




After my visit, it was now time to return. Crossing the bridge and the steep climb back to the road I headed back the way I had come.



The views looking back from Great Lumley were stunning.



I could see the Angel of the North standing to the north west. I passed close to the Angel on a previous walk along Bowes Railway Path.


Often today I thought of my Mam, Vera, she would have known this area very well as a child. Growing up less than a km from where I was walking. Vera would have talked in miles not kms. The fields, paths, streams and woods would have been very familiar to her.  




It had been a lovely days walking. I had covered just over 28km with 380m climb.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Weardale Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous walk on Weardale Way Bede's Cross to Worm Hill
Follow link to next walk on Weardale Way Fincale Priory to Shincliffe



No comments:

Post a Comment